Here we are at the beginning of Memorial Day weekend and New York State Park beaches will be opening today! The State beaches that will be open in the area including Grafton Lakes, Lake Taghkanic, Moreau Lake and Thompsons Lake. Lake George is also opening their Million Dollar Beach as of tomorrow (Capacity there will be limited to 500 people). The village won't be opening it's own beaches for a few more weeks. However for the state beaches and Million Dollar Beach, There will be lifeguards in place and State Park Police will be patrolling to make sure everyone is abiding by the new beach guidelines in the age of Covid-19. State beaches will be limited to 50% capacity, and if you want to go, you're being asked to show up early to get your spot on the beach. These are the guidelines that are in place according to CBS 6
- Visit only with members of their immediate household;
- Maintain 6 feet of distance of others while swimming and on beaches and boardwalks;
- Keep beach blankets and chairs at least 10 feet apart from others;
- Wear a mask when unable to maintain social distance;
- Refrain from group activities.
- Reducing normal summer season capacity by 50%, by limiting parking and other means of entry;
- Prohibiting group contact activities, including contact sports (e.g. volleyball, football);
- Reducing capacity in indoor areas such as changing areas, locker rooms, restrooms by 50%;
- Closing all beachfront concessions and areas of social gathering;
- Implementing measures to maintain social distance for both employees and visitors, including signage, distance markers, directional arrows, and physical barriers;
- Requiring masks must be worn by all employees and visitors when social distancing is not possible;
- Conducting frequent cleaning and disinfection for restrooms and frequently touched surfaces.
It's important to note that concession stands will be closed so bring your own water and food. If you want to know if the park is closed before you head out, just click here to get that information.